Friday, August 09, 2013

I Heart Shifters

This was originally posted on Reviews by Jessewave.

When I read Wave's post entitled, "M/M Romances That Resonate," it seemed to me that paranormal books weren't really on the list, except for the Irregulars anthology. And while that is a terrific set of novellas, I was looking for more traditional paranormal types recommendations. So when Wave urged me to write one, I thought why not? I love the genre and probably 80% of my reading list contains vampires, werewolves, ghosts or other such creatures.

Why do I love paranormals?

I love the world building, the potential for great angst, the backstory of many of the characters. I mean, as a history teacher I would have loved to have been around for the American Revolution, the Renaissance or World War II. And if you are a vampire whose lived for centuries you just might have experienced all of those events. Think of all the history you would have witnessed. That fascinates me...and I think it fascinates other readers who love this genre like I do. After all, sexy ghosts, angst-ridden vampires and alpha shifters are hot! Just look at Amazon's Top 100 and you'll see I'm not the only one with a serious love for men who sprout fur during a full moon.

knotting-1Not to mention the many tropes that exist in paranormal books: alpha shifters, omegas, bonding, claiming, instant love, cursed vampires, mpreg, and knotting. (In fact when Googling knotting, I came up with this pic of Derek from Teen Wolf, one truly messed-up shifter...which led me to some Sterek knotting fanfiction...which led me to reading some Sterek mpreg.) The tropes are everywhere!

So when I decided to pick my favorite paranormal books -- with some input from other reviewers at Jessewave -- the only criteria was that they be written in the last three years, since Wave made this post.

Now, it was tough finding only fifteen books to put on this list, and I am sure readers will have many more suggestions here in the comments, but I (and others) felt these books represented the best in the paranormal genre that we've read. Most of them I have reviewed myself, or at least read.

reasonbelieve1. A Reason to Believe by Diana Copland - A wonderful ghost story laced with a terrific romance. One of my favorite books from last year.
2. A Shadow of Wings by Linda Gayle - Reviewed here. So far, my favorite m/m paranormal novel of 2013.
3. Strength of the Pack by Kendall McKenna - Reviewed here. Great shifter book.
4. Bayou Dreams by Lynn Lorenz - Gay For You with a delightful twist. Reviewed here.
deepestblack5. A Thread of Deepest Black by Finn Marlowe - An amazing BDSM shifter book. I re-read this one a lot!
6. Crying for the Moon by Sarah Madison - Unique shifters. Another keeper!
7. Midnight in Berlin by JL Merrow - Reviewed here.
8. A Boy and His Dragon by R. Cooper - Read Wave's 4.75 star review.
9. Pocket-Sized Prince
by Stormy Glenn - Reviewed here. The title says it all. *g*
bander10. Dead in L.A. by Lou Harper - Lloyd and a couple of other reviewers have this on their top five list!
11. Wake Me Up Inside by Cardeno C - Many reviewers loved this book!
12. Taming the Bander by Summer Devon - Feliz's choice.
13. Natural Instincts by SJ Frost - I read this during a hurricane and couldn't put it down even as the flood waters were rising.
alphaardor14. I, Omega by Kari Gregg - You will either love or hate this book. No in-betweens. Intense and hot D/s themed shifter novel.
15. The Alpha's Ardor by Rebecca Brouchu - If you like hurt/comfort, then this book will hit all your buttons. Utterly lovely.


If you are looking for a good book to curl up with on a dark, rainy night while praying your electric doesn't go out as the wind howls against your door...anyone of these books is a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment